Friday 13th May 2016
Exclusive to this course
*FREE SIGN CLIMB SYSTEM FLASHCARD PACK WORTH £35*
1 Day Course
Delivered by: Deaf Climbing UK
This deaf awareness course has been specifically designed for the context of rock climbing and will provide you with the skills to confidently provide, or support, rock climbing sessions for deaf/deafened or hard of hearing individuals.
With a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical experience, you will leave the course ready to get started. The first half of the day explores what deafness means, current social perceptions and how the law affects you. The second half of the day focuses on the practical side of inclusive rock climbing and provides a unique opportunity to put into practice what you have learnt.
- Understand different levels of deafness and how that impacts communication
- Be aware of legislation and how it affects your organisation
- Appreciate the importance of clear communication
- Gain a knowledge of different methods of communication used by deaf people
- Understand the role of British Sign Language
- Feel confident to provide rock climbing to deaf/deafened/hard of hearing individuals
- Definitions & Terminology
- Communication Methods
- Legislation and you
- Reasonable Adjustment
- Sign Climb System
- Deaf awareness in practise
- Inclusive Communication
- BSL: Learning the basics
- Sign Climb System training
A certificate of attendance will be awarded at the end of this course and lunch will be provided.